May is National Mental Health Month - Quilt Something!
We all know that quilting is a wonderful stress reliever, and since May is celebrated as National Mental Health Month, it's the perfect time to indulge in our craft! For some of us, it's the visual and tactile enjoyment of beautiful fabrics and embellishments, the combination of colors, designs & textures. For others, it's the calming hum of the sewing machine, or the rhythmic motion of hand stitching that eases stress. Some of us appreciate the overall creative process that holds your attention, making it a pleasant (and practical) distraction from the day's challenges; others use quilting as therapeutic time to work through life's various situations. In the end, quilting provides a tangible result to enjoy for years to come. So take a Mental Health Break in May. Here are a few suggestions:
- Donate a quilt to a local charity and relieve your own stress by helping someone else. (Check your pile of UFO's for something that's nearly complete.)
- Share your love of quilting with a willing beginner.
- Create a piece of family history using photo transfer.
- Join a guild, or become more active in your current one. Spending time with like-minded people relieves stress!
- Take a little time to organize you stash - visual chaos creates mental chaos.
- Invite a few quilting friends over for quilting and snacks - coffee & cake, wine & cheese, etc.
- Choose a manageable project, even a single quilt block to sew up into a pillow or tote bag.
- Treat yourself to at least one very special fabric.
- Increase your skills by trying a new technique from a book, magazine or website, or take a class so you can learn and make new friends.