Kim Eichler-Messmer shares her expert tips for creating REVERSE APPLIQUE:
- Choose 3 to 5 fabrics that look exciting together, with a variety of values.
- Cut each piece of fabric into the same size square or rectangle. Or use a 10" x 10" layer cake or a fat quarter of each fabric.
- Using a fabric marking tool, draw a simple geometric composition on the piece of fabric that will be your top layer. This layer will create the outlines of your design (The top layer is the cream fabric in Kim's photo below)
- Neatly stack fabrics together, right sides facing up; pin baste.
- Sew on the drawn lines through the entire stack of fabric, using thread that blends in with the top layer or one that contrasts. A walking foot will simplify the process.
- Think about where you will cut to reveal the other fabrics.
- On inside pieces, use a seam ripper to carefully slice down to the layer you want to reveal. Once a small slit is opened up, use sharp, pointy scissors to cut the fabric away, leaving approximately a 1/4" seam allowance between the cut edge and the sewn line. On outside pieces cut carefully with your scissors.
- Once the piece is all cut away and you are happy with the design, wash and dry your piece to make it super textural and soft. Finish the piece as a wall hanging, pillow front, etc.